All Sections

Android makes up 20% of tablet market

Apple may still be snuggled up comfortably on top of their tablet throne, but Android is closing the gap, according to a report from market analysts ABI Research.

Despite ABI’s claim that no single producer of Android tablets has been able to “mount a significant challenge” against Apple, its findings reveal that as a whole the Android OS now accounts for 20% of the tablet market, with Apple making up much of the remaining 80%. However, ABI claims it’s the lack of differentiation in Android devices that is hurting Google’s chances of toppling Apple altogether.

“Many vendors have introduced media tablets,” said Jeff Orr, ABI Research’s mobile devices group director, “but none are separating themselves from the pack to pose a serious threat to Apple. In fact, most have introduced products at prices higher than similarly-configured iPads.”

This time last year, Apple’s dominance over the tablet market pretty much strangled its competitors, who rushed out a string of over-priced, sub-par Android tablets to try and cash in on the burgeoning tablet market. In August 2010, Apple’s iPad accounted for a whopping 93% of tablets sold, meaning Android has clawed some 13% from Apple in twelve months. So fear not, Google; by our calculations, that means the iPad will have completely disappeared in six years time. That’s how maths works, right?

Via: The Inquirer, ABI Research


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *