Tech that measures viewers’ emotional reactions, chirps messages from your TV, and creates a personalised TV guide for everyone in the room is competing to be among the UK’s best TV innovations.
They’re all finalists in the first DTG Television Innovation Awards, which will select four winners to be showcased at the world’s biggest broadcasting technology show.
Familiar TV name Freesat Freetime is competing alongside Ad Venture TV, autoGraph.me, Chirp, CrowdEmotion, Grabyo, Live Box and StreamHub.
The shortlist was chosen by 13 technology experts and journalists including Recombu’s digital editor, Alex Lane, to go forward to the Dragon’s Den-style grand final on July 23. The final is open to the public, with free tickets at http://dtgtvinnovationawards.eventbrite.co.uk/.
The Awards have been created by the Digital TV Group, which develops the standards behind Freeview and brings together broadcasters, manufacturers and other groups involved in delivering TV to British viewers.
The final judges will include representatives of YouTube, BBC Worldwide Labs, the DTG, the UK Trade and Investment agency, industry magazine Televisual, and Sony.
The finalists are:
- Ad Venture TV: replaces broadcast adverts with ads personalised to the viewer, currently on trial to around half a million students.
- autoGraph.me: creates a TV guide tailored for everyone in a room depending on preferences they’ve put into its app.
- Chirp: sends inaudible sonic messages from the TV to apps on viewers’ phones and tablets to trigger video clips, links or interactive content.
- CrowdEmotion: uses a webcam to read viewers expressions and see how they’re responding emotionally to what’s on TV in real time.
- Freesat Freetime: offers a Roll Back 7-day TV guide which combines what’s on live TV with catch-up from the BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5, as well on-demand video from YouTube.
- Grabyo: allows broadcasters to quickly create and share video clips across Twitter, Facebook, the web and mobile devices in real time, with advertising and sponsorship.
- Live Box: a portable compact video point-to-point 4G communications link with built-in HD camera, lights, wireless microphones, speaker and cue light for remote interviews.
- Streamhub: big data analytics combining viewing figures with data from social media, apps and YouTube.
The four winners will take part in a DTG showcase at IBC, the annual TV industy technology show in Amsterdam, in September.
Leave a Reply