Looking to upgrade your TV? or perhaps you want to go controller-free? Either way you can use our expertly chosen list to find the perfect streaming stick to enhance your viewing experience.
A streaming stick is the best way to avoid having to upgrade your TV if your main issue is that its built-in apps feel sluggish, or the services you want aren’t supported. They could save you hundreds, or even thousands, of pounds.
The best streaming sticks are quick, offer lots of apps that are regularly updated. And the high-end models even stream at 4K and have voice-enabled remote controls. Ready for the list of best streaming sticks?
- Best buy: Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K Max
- Budget buy: Amazon Fire TV Stick Lite
- Also consider: NOW TV Smart Stick
- Best for remote-free use: Google Chromecast
Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K Max
- Best buy
- Buy the Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K Max
This top-end Fire TV Stick offers cutting-edge specs. You get 4K streaming, HDR and, new for this model, Wi-Fi 6 support. This is particularly useful if you have a recent home broadband router. Amazon’s Fire TV stick interface is excellent, letting you install loads of apps and games as well as just streaming services. You get a nifty remote too, which supports Alexa voice commands.
- Streams at up to 4K resolution
- Supports HDR
- Loads of apps are available, and even games
- A fully loaded interface may be a bit much for technophobes in the family
Amazon Fire TV Stick Lite
- Budget Buy
- Buy the Amazon Fire TV Stick Lite
The entry-level Amazon Fire TV Stick Lite cuts out a few features but is very affordable — perfect for a bedroom TV, or for occasional use when you go on holiday. It offers 1080p streaming, 8GB storage for apps and games, and all the accessories you need to get started. The remote doesn’t have voice command support, but you can upgrade to the standard Fire TV Stick if you want that and are only looking for a 1080p streamer.
- Excellent value
- Provides all the streaming services you need
- 1080p is the maximum resolution
- This particular model lacks voice support
NOW TV Smart Stick
- Honourable mention
- Buy the NOW TV Smart Stick
Sky’s NOW TV Smart Stick is a solid option if you’d like a simple smart interface focused on catch-up apps and streaming services. You get access to Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Sky channels and more. Best of all, you can get it with one-month passes for Sky Cinema, packed with blockbuster films, and NOW Entertainment. The remote is solid too, and offers voice support.
- Includes trial passes for Sky Cinema and Entertainment
- Remote supports voice commands
- Uncluttered interface
- No Apple TV+ app
- Best for remote-free use
- Buy the Google Chromecast
Sick of using remotes? Google Chromecast lets you get away from them. You use your phone instead. A Chromecast shortcut button pops up in apps that support casting, and the streaming stick gets the nod to take over streaming duties when you tap it. You can also use Chromecast for music apps like Spotify. This version of Chromecast only supports 1080p streams but this is a very streamlined stick in operation.
- Remote-free operation
- Easy to use
- Wide support in apps
- Only supports resolutions up to 1080p
If you’re in need of a streaming stick to enhance your TV set then simply take a gander at the options we’ve collated above. With one of these, you’ll be watching your favourite shows in no time.