All Sections

Ford Mustang tops sports car sales list in Britain

The new Ford Mustang was the best-selling sports car in the first half of 2016, bettering pricier offerings from the British and Germans.

Ford managed 2,317 Mustang sales from January to July 2016, taking the total to more than 4,000 sales since the car went on sale in the third quarter of 2015.

The next most popular performance vehicle over the same period, which includes cars with more than 250PS, was the Jaguar F-Type, with 1,446 sales. Third place went to the BMW 6 Series, with 1,367 sales.

The Germans dominate the list, with fourth, fifth and sixth going to the Porsche 911 (1,315 sales), Porsche Cayman (787) and Audi TT (778), respectively. Seventh is the Porsche Boxster (526), eighth is the Mercedes SL (489) and ninth is the Porsche 718 Cayman (482).

Tenth place, meanwhile, is yet another German car. This time, it is the wonderfully capable hybrid BMW i8 supercar, 382 examples of which made their way to lucky owners.

70 per cent of Ford Mustang customers went for the V8 (and rightly so) while the 2.3-litre EcoBoost was enough for the remaining 30 per cent.

It is worth noting the average price of each sports car in the list is much higher than the Ford Mustang, even in its more desirable and more powerful V8 version, so it was always going to have an easier time of selling than a £100,000 i8.

But credit where credit is due, the new Ford Mustang is great value for money and hugely satisfying to drive, so we can understand the love from Brits. Check out our Ford Mustang review here.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *