Chris Evans just announced the five presenters who will join him on Top Gear, one of which is Recombu Cars editor-in-chief Rory Reid. Here are 15 things you need to know about him.
1) Sometimes he writes poetry about cars
Because sometimes talking just isn’t enough.
2) He once rode an unusual mobility scooter
Boy got skills.
3) He also tried to lift a car with velcro
Rest in piece, Peugeot 205.
4) Batman is a close friend
So don’t get on his bad side.
5) He’s been reviewing cars and gadgets for a while
You may not know who he is, but he’s been reviewing cars for the Recombu Cars YouTube channel for some time. He also tried to steal petrol in broad daylight and no one cared.
6) He proved Range Rovers are built to last
Turns out underwater bollards are not your friend.
7) The Jaguar F-Type made him really angry
But he’s actually a pretty chill guy. Unless you try to steal hummus from him.
8) He really, really likes the BMW i8
The perfect sports car? Rory thinks so.
9) Jumping into convertibles isn’t his forté
10) His public audition landed him the Top Gear job
See, those public auditions weren’t just a publicity stunt. Although to be fair, he’s not your typical example of Joe Public, but there you go.
11) He’s the editor-in-chief of Recombu and Recombu Cars
Which means he’s the boss. Lovely bloke (cheque to the usual address). He will still be the boss even though he’s on Top Gear and will still create car reviews for the Recombu Cars YouTube channel. So fear not, fans.
12) He started his journalism career writing about computers
Humble beginnings, huh. The south-east Londoner began his writing career for a Personal Computer World magazine, making use of his technology and video gaming expertise. This lead to working for CNET, where he launched its Car Tech channel, and a stint on BBC Radio 5 Live.
13) He likes a big… laptop
20-inches big. And he’s not afraid to wield it on the London Underground.
14) He was once on Games Master
A keen gamer as a youth, Reid once appeared on the iconic Games Master show.
15) He’s a big fan of British luxury motoring
But his daily driver is a Ford Focus. Onwards and upwards, hey.
Leave a Reply